Imagine this: the sun is dipping below the horizon, casting warm hues on your patio with a light breeze. In the oven, a succulent salmon infused with citrusy lemon and earthy fennel, all waiting to be unveiled. This isn’t just any meal; it’s a summer soirée on a plate, crafted with love and the iconic touch of Wiltshire and Amanda Dettrick.
Wiltshire, an Australian household name since 1934, understands the magic of summer gatherings. That’s why their ovenware isn’t just functional; it’s an invitation to create memories that sizzle. With their trusted baking trays, you can whip up this restaurant-worthy Baked Salmon with Fennel and Herb Salad, a dish that’s as easy as it is elegant.
The hero of this recipe is the salmon, its delicate flesh cradled by the gentle heat of your oven. As it bakes, a vibrant melody of flavours unfolds – the zing of lemon zest, the warm earthiness of fennel, and the gentle kiss of sea salt.
But what truly sets this dish apart is its simplicity. With minimal prep and fuss, you can transform everyday ingredients into a ‘chef kiss’ masterpiece. It’s perfect for busy weeknights yet impressive enough to grace any summer soirée. Plus, using a quality Wiltshire baking tray ensures even cooking and effortless cleanup, leaving you more time to soak up the good vibes.
Put on some summer tunes, and let Wiltshire weave its magic. With this Baked Salmon and Fennel Herb Salad, you’re not just creating a meal; you’re creating a summer memory that will linger long after the last bite is savored. And that, my friends, is the true taste of summer bliss.
Baked Salmon Side with Fennel and Herb Salad
Makes/Serves: Serves 4
Prep/cook time: 35 mins
• Whole (1.5-1.8kg) side of salmon (in one piece), skin off and pin-boned*
• 4-5 lemons, sliced
• 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
• Juice ½ lemon
• 1 tbsp harissa paste
• Sea salt and cracked black pepper
• 1 fennel bulb, shaved with a mandoline, fronds reserved
• ¼ cup fresh coriander leaves
• ¼ cup fresh continental parsley, roughly chopped with smaller leaved whole
• ¼ cup fresh mint leaves, torn
• 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
• ½ tbsp brown sugar
• Zest and juice of ½ lemon
How to prepare:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan forced. Line a Wiltshire 39cm Vitreous Enamel Bake Tray with baking paper, and place lemon slices on the paper in the rough shape of your side of salmon.
- Combine the harissa paste with 1 tbsp olive oil. Lay salmon on top of the lemon slices and brush the harissa oil all over the top of the salmon. Season with salt and pepper.
Bake for 35-45 minutes or until the fish reaches an internal temperature of 63°C at the thickest part.
- While the salmon is cooking, combine shaved fennel, fronds, coriander, parsley and mint in a bowl and add remaining1 tbsp olive oil, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar and lemon zest and juice. Toss to combine then season with salt and pepper.
- Once the salmon side has been removed from the oven, top with the fennel and herb salad and serve immediately.