Victoria’s High Country, with its snow-capped peaks, charming towns, and rolling vineyards, is a natural paradise for lovebirds. Whether you’re seeking an adrenaline-filled adventure or a cozy retreat under the stars, this region has something to ignite the spark and rekindle the flame. So, pack your bags, hold hands, and get ready to explore the most romantic experiences Victoria’s High Country has to offer:
Hypedome at Mt Hotham
Imagine gazing at a sky ablaze with a million stars, nestled beside your loved one in a luxuriously heated Hypedome. Mt Hotham offers this magical experience, where you can snuggle up under the crystal-clear dome and lose yourselves in the vastness of the universe. With a private telescope and optional stargazing tour, you can learn about constellations, celestial bodies, and the ancient stories woven into the night sky.
- The Stargazing Experience: The Hypedome is located at Dinner Plain, a short drive from the main Mt Hotham resort. The domes are fully equipped with comfortable beds, sheepskin rugs, and heating, ensuring a warm and cozy experience no matter the weather outside. You can choose from a variety of stargazing packages, which include a guided tour led by a knowledgeable astronomer, use of a telescope, and star charts.
- Romantic Extras: To make your experience even more special, consider adding a bottle of champagne and chocolates to your package. You can also pre-order a picnic basket filled with gourmet treats to enjoy under the stars.
For a romantic picnic with a view that will take your breath away, head to The Horn at Mt Buffalo. Hike or drive to the summit, spread out a blanket on the edge of the cliff, and soak in the panoramic vistas of valleys, mountains, and distant plains. As you share delicious bites and heartfelt conversations, the golden hues of sunset paint the landscape in a mesmerizing glow.
- The Perfect Picnic Spot: The Horn is the highest point on the Bogong High Plains, offering 360-degree views that encompass mountains, forests, and valleys. To get there, take the Great Alpine Road from Myrtleford or Bright. There’s a car park near the summit, and a short walking trail leads to the lookout point.
- Picnic Planning: Pack a basket filled with your favorite treats, including sandwiches, salads, fruits, cheeses, and dips. Don’t forget a bottle of wine or sparkling water, and a picnic blanket or camp chairs. If you’re visiting in the cooler months, pack warm clothes and blankets.
Embark on a journey of love and wonder with a hot air balloon ride over the King Valley. As you gently ascend, the world unfolds beneath you, revealing patchwork vineyards, quaint villages, and the dramatic landscape of the Great Dividing Range. Share a champagne toast with your sweetheart as you drift through the clouds, creating memories that will last a lifetime.
- The Ballooning Experience: Several companies offer hot air balloon rides over the King Valley, with flights typically departing early in the morning as the sun rises. The balloons float gently over the vineyards, offering stunning views of the valley and surrounding mountains. The flight lasts for about an hour, and then you’ll be treated to a champagne breakfast on the ground.
- Romance in the Air: A hot air balloon ride is an incredibly romantic experience, providing a unique and unforgettable way to see the King Valley. The peacefulness of the flight, the stunning scenery, and the intimacy of the moment create a magical atmosphere that is sure to spark romance.
Rutherglen, with its rich winemaking history and charming atmosphere, is a haven for food and wine lovers. Explore cellar doors, indulge in decadent meals at acclaimed restaurants, and enjoy leisurely picnics amidst the vines. As you savor gourmet delights and clink glasses under the starry sky, romance is sure to blossom.
- A Wine Lover’s Paradise: Rutherglen is home to over 20 wineries, producing a variety of wines, including Shiraz, Durif, and Muscat. Many wineries offer cellar door tastings, where you can sample their wines and learn about the winemaking process.
- Fine Dining and Country Charm: Rutherglen also boasts a number of excellent