There’s only one way to conquer the upcoming sizzling Spring/Summer heat – with a bowl of Summer Gazpacho that’s as refreshing as a dip in a mountain stream. But this isn’t just any gazpacho; oh no, we’re taking it up a notch! Picture plump prawns lounging in a tomato sea, avocado slices doing the backstroke, and basil leaves diving in for a herbaceous splash. Yes, we’re about to give it a go and that’s not only going to cool you down but also make your taste buds do a flamenco dance of delight. So, grab your apron and prepare to become the Picasso of the soup world, because this Summer Gazpacho is a masterpiece in the making!
Serve straight up as is or get fancy. For vegan, leave off the prawns and add some olives and for vegetarian, some marinated feta spooned through works so well. Thanks to Chef Tom Walont for your recipe.
This recipe serves 2, takes a total of 15 minutes and uses the Vitamix 2.0 Litre Container.
- 3 vine ripened tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 red capsicum, roughly chopped
- 1 large Lebanese cucumber, roughly chopped
- ½ red onion, diced
- 2 clove garlic
- ¼ cup toasted pistachio, hazelnuts, or almonds (optional)
- ¼ cup sherry or red wine vinegar
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil + extra to drizzle
- Flake sea salt, fresh ground black pepper
- 2 handful basil leaves
- 1 ripe avocado, diced
- ½ punnet cherry heirloom tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 6 cooked tiger prawns, peeled, diced
- Grilled crusty bread
Some directions to follow:
- Prepare the ingredients then chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours to make sure they are cold.
- Place the prepared tomatoes, capsicums, cucumber, onion, and garlic into the blender, along with the pistachios, vinegar, olive oil and a generous seasoning of salt and pepper.
- Blend on low speed for 20 seconds to break everything down then turn the speed up to high and blend for 1 minute until you achieve a smooth and silky consistency.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning. Chill in the fridge if not serving straight away – just give it a quick blend to emulsify again before serving.
- Pour the soup between two bowls, spoon over the avocado, heirloom tomatoes and prawns.
- Season with a little black pepper, drizzle with more olive oil and scatter extra basil. Serve with grilled sourdough.