Calling all veggie lovers and time-pressed foodies! Craving a dish that’s bursting with healthy greens, packed with flavour, and effortlessly prepped the night before? Look no further than Chef Tom Walton’s Greens & Feta Quiche with Oat Pastry. This ingenious recipe reimagines the classic quiche with a delightful twist: a low-GI oat pastry crust that’s not only good for you but keeps you feeling fuller for longer.
Why we love this quiche
Greens Galore: This quiche isn’t shy about leafy goodness. Pack it with your favourite seasonal greens, such as spinach, kale, chard, or a flavorful mix, for a vitamin and mineral powerhouse in every bite.
Oat-standing Pastry: Ditch the store-bought crust and whip up a wholesome base using freshly ground oats. This ingenious twist adds a nutty flavour and a satisfyingly crumbly texture while keeping the GI index low for sustained energy.
Powered by Vitamix: Forget wilted, tough greens! With the Vitamix A3500i Ascent Series Smart Blender. Simply toss your chosen leafy friends into the container, select the “Greens & Grains” program, and watch as the powerful blades transform them into a silky-smooth puree in seconds. No more tedious chopping – just perfect, evenly distributed greens ready to be incorporated into your oat pastry crust and filling. One of many ways to use your kitchen ‘sous-chef’.
Feta Fantastic: Creamy feta cheese crumbles throughout the filling, adding a tangy counterpoint to the earthy greens and rich eggs. This flavour combination never gets old.
Make-Ahead Marvel: This quiche is a prep-and-forget dream. Assemble it the night before, pop it in the fridge, and wake up to a golden, ready-to-bake masterpiece. Perfect for busy mornings or relaxed weekend brunches.
Greens Feta Quiche with Oat Pastry
Makes 8 servings
• 270g oats (approx. 2 ¾ cups)
• ½ tsp salt
• ¼ cup olive oil
• ½ cup water
• ½ head broccoli, cut into large pieces
• 1 zucchini, cut into large pieces
• 6 green beans, halved
• ½ small red onion, cut into wedges
• 1/3 cup frozen peas, defrosted
• 4 eggs
• 150ml milk
• 150ml cream
• Salt, pepper
• 1/3 cup crumbled feta
• ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
• Handful dill, to serve
How to make it:
- For the pastry, place the oats and salt into the dry grains container and blend on speed 4, slowly increasing to speed 6 and continue blending, using the tamper if needed, to create fine flour.
- Place the oat flour in a bowl, add the oil and water, and knead to a soft dough. Use more water if needed. If the dough is too firm, it will crack.
- Roll the dough between two pieces of baking paper into a 5mm thick circle. Remove the top piece of baking paper and invert the dough sheet into a 24cm fluted tart case. Pressing it gently into the case and trimming the top.
- Let this rest in the fridge for 15 minutes to firm up
- Preheat the oven to 190C.
- Drop chop the broccoli, zucchini, beans & onion by running the blender on speed 2 to chop them finely.
- Spoon this into the pastry case and gently mix in the peas, feta and cheddar.
- In the 600ml container cup, combine the cream, eggs, salt, and pepper and blend on speed 2 to mix but not aerate.
- Pour this evenly over the veggies in the tart and gently shake it to let the cream mix sink in evenly.
- Bake for approximately 40 minutes until the quiche is set. Allow it to sit for at least 10-15 minutes to rest before cutting. Serve scattered with dill and a good crack of black pepper.