Make the most of seasonal vegetables with these recipes. It’s almost the home stretch for the cold winter months. Spring isn’t around the corner quite yet, so I get my boost of much-needed stimulation by visiting the grocers and filling my basket with deep shades of leafy greens and a rainbow assortment of root vegetables. Together with a generous dash of spice and a small pinch of patience.
Wiltshire’s Winter Vegetable & Sausage Tray Bake
Recipe serves 4 and photography by Melissa Darr
• 6 pork sausages
• 3 parsnips, halved
• 1 bunch of dutch baby carrots, tops removed
• 1 large brown onion, quartered
• 4 medium potatoes, washed & quartered
• 2 zucchini, cut into 1-inch pieces
• 1 punnet of vine cherry tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees fan bake and line Wiltshire 1L Enamel Baking Tray with baking paper.
- Layer the sausages, parsnips, baby carrots, onion, potato & zucchini on the tray and drizzle with olive oil. Toss to combine. Sprinkle with coarse sea salt, pepper, and fresh herbs of your choice (such as rosemary, thyme or oregano).
- Place into the oven and bake for 35 minutes. Add in the cherry tomatoes and bake for a further 10-15 minutes or until blistered. Remove from the oven and serve immediately with crusty bread or your favourite sauce.
Wiltshire’s Potato, Olive and Feta Frittata
Recipe serves 4-6 and photography by Brodie Nalywajko
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 500g cleaned waxy potatoes (we used Kipfler), thickly sliced (about 3mm)
• 2 cloves garlic, crushed
• 110g marinated green split olives
• 100g feta (we used Australian), roughly crumbled
• 8 eggs
• ¼ cup grated parmesan
• Sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
• Basil leaves, to serve
- Preheat a fan-forced oven to 200ºC.
- Heat oil in a large frypan over medium heat. Add potatoes and cook, stirring every now and again, for 5-6 mins or until potatoes begin to soften. Add garlic and cook for another minute until fragrant. Season.
- Arrange the potatoes in a 26x20cm 1.5L Wiltshire Enamel Dish. Add split green olives and their oil and feta, toss to combine.
- Whisk together eggs and parmesan. Season. Pour evenly over the potato mixture then bake for 20-25 mins until golden and cooked through.
- Serve warm with a side salad. This frittata is also nice cut into smaller pieces and served at room temperature cut as an easy picnic snack.