Easter is coming!
And I’m kicking off the Easter festivities with a gorgeous Wiltshire’s Speckled Easter Egg Layer Cake, complete with three layers of goodness and a delicious speckled egg buttercream.
Apart from making this cake, we’ve chatted to Wiltshire’s secret Easter recipe builders with another Easter treat which we will be sharing with you – so stayed tuned! I’ve already eaten way more than my fair share of Easter eggs this year, but I am having so much fun with the Easter-themed treats. If you do make this cake, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!
Wiltshire’s range of Rose Gold bakeware is not only attractive but functional. The range is oven safe to 220C, features a high-quality non-stick coating, and dishwasher, fridge, and freezer safe. The pink silicone pans are microwave safe too!
Wiltshire’s Speckled Easter Egg Layer Cake
Skill level: Medium
Prep/cook time: 20 mins prep | 35 min cook
• 155g unsalted butter, softened
• 155ml vegetable oil
• 415g caster sugar
• 2 tsp vanilla bean paste
• 5 large eggs, room temperature
• 560g plain flour
• 1 tbsp baking powder
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
• Pink, blue and yellow gel food colouring
• 300g unsalted butter, softened
• 5400g icing sugar, sifted
• 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
• 80g speckled mini eggs, to serve
• 80g mini chocolate eggs, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C and Grease and line the base and sides of 3 x 20cm (8 inches) Wiltshire Rose Gold Round Cake Pans with baking paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (or using a hand mixer) beat together the butter, oil, sugar and vanilla until well combined. Add eggs one at a time, mixing between each addition until incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk together until combined.
- Fold through half the flour mixture to the butter mixture, add the buttermilk and fold through. Repeat with remaining flour and buttermilk, folding each through until just combined.
- Divide the batter evenly into three bowls and add a few drops of each Gell food colouring until you have a pink, blue and yellow batter.
- Trim around the edges of each layer of cake to expose the coloured crumb. Transfer each coloured better to one of the cake pans and bake for 25-30 minutes. Allow cooling in the tip for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- To make the buttercream, beat butter and vanilla bean paste in the bowl of a stand mixer on medium speed for 8 minutes until pale and fluffy. Turn the mixer off and sift in the icing sugar.
- Mix on lowest speed until the icing sugar has begun to incorporate, then increase speed and mix on high for 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer buttercream to a piping bag with a large round nozzle and pipe a layer of icing on top of one the blue cake layer, top with the yellow cake layer and pipe more buttercream on top, then top with the pink cake layer and pipe on the remaining buttercream.
- Scatter mini eggs in the centre to serve.