A steaming hot mug of spiced red wine reminds me of a time travelling to Austria and Prague during winter – exploring the Christmas markets.
Crafted to be delicious and uncomplicated, Jam Shed wines – Jam Shed Shiraz and Jam Shed Red Blend – are smooth, rich, fruit driven and made for people who simply want to enjoy a quality drop at an affordable price.
Alison Baker, Jam Shed Winemaker, says, “In recent years we have seen more and more Australians gravitate towards smoother and sweeter wine styles. Jam Shed is a great introduction to red wine for new wine drinkers and our new mulled wine spice mixes also provide people with exciting ways to serve and enjoy a glass or two during the cooler months. Jam Shed Shiraz is the ideal base for a delicious, mulled wine; when heated its luscious fruity flavours balance the spice mix beautifully, accentuating hints of cinnamon and vanilla.”
Jam Shed Shiraz is rich and opulent, with lifted sweet flavours of cherry and ripe red fruits complimented by aromas of sweet cherry, dark fruits and spice notes. A medium sweet Shiraz, this wine is deep ruby red in appearance with balanced acid and soft layers of tannin to give length and finesse while finishing soft and sweet on the palate. Simply heat Jam Shed Shiraz, combine with the mulled wine spice mix and add in your favourite garnishes to create the ultimate aromatic winter warmer.
With an inky purple appearance, Jam Shed Red Blend (Cabernet, Merlot and Petit Verdot) offers pronounced scents of blackcurrants, raspberry jam and vanilla pods on the nose, whilst boasting ripe, sweet blackcurrants and vanilla spice on the palate, and finishing with soft velvety tannins. Jam Shed Red Blend is the perfect pair to hearty winter dishes that include red meats or rich tomato-based pasta.
Jam-packed with flavour, Jam Shed wines are sourced from vineyards across South-Eastern Australia, predominantly the Riverland region in South Australia. Jam Shed wines have been inspired by the prestigious Jam Shed that played an essential role in developing both jam and wine production in the region for well over 100 years. With a climate of endless sunshine, the Riverland area provides ideal conditions for ripe fruit flavours, creating juicy, mouth-watering wines with generous varietal characters.
Jam Shed wines are available now in Liquorland, First Choice and independent retailers nationally. For a limited time, Jam Shed Shiraz with a bonus mulled wine mix and jam jar will be available across independent retailers.
Jam Shed Mulled Wine Mix
Serves approx 4-5
• 1 x Jam Shed Shiraz 750mL
• 1 x Jam Shed Mulled Wine Mix Bundle
• 1⁄4 cup of brown sugar (optional)
• Garnish: Orange, berries or stone fruit, orange liquor, cinnamon stick (optional)
1. In a saucepan, combine 1 bottle of Jam Shed Shiraz, with 10g Mulled Wine Mix Bundle (1⁄4 cup of brown sugar optional).
2. Slowly bring to a gentle simmer, remember to stir often and make sure it doesn’t boil. As the delicate fruit aromas will slowly dissipate.
3. Optional: add slices of oranges, berries or stone fruit, or enhance with orange liquor.
3. Turn off heat, cover and steep for 15 minutes (or longer depending on desired strength)
4. Serve hot in mugs, garnish with an orange slice and a cinnamon stick.
If you have mulled wine recipes to share, let us know. Stay safe and keep warm.